YARD WASTE COMPOSTING SITE
Brighton Township operates under permit from the PA DEP a yard waste drop-off and composting site located at 1250 Brighton Road, the Public Works Site. Use of the site is restricted to township residents who must first obtain a permit. Residential permits are issued at the Municipal Building for an annual fee of $15.00. Permits are required for depositing yard materials at the site only. A permit is not required to pick up processed mulch or compost.
Commercial operators are subject to a separate fee schedule and may not use a homeowner’s permit for disposal at the site. For more information inquire at the Municipal Building or call (724) 774-4800. Yard waste permit applications are available on the Applications/Forms Page or Yard Waste Permit.
Yard Waste Composting Site Rules & Regulations
- Acceptable yard waste includes only leaves, grass, hedge clippings, brush or tree trimmings to a maximum length of five (5) feet and a maximum diameter of six (6) inches, and Christmas trees.
- All yard waste shall be deposit on the site in the designated space.
- The following items are specifically prohibited from being deposited at the Yard Waste Composting Site:
- Tree stumps
- Construction materials of any nature and including lumber
- Stones, brick, asphalt or concrete
- Cans or any form of metal
- Plastic bags
- Paper waste
- Dog, cat or other animal waste
- Garden produce such as tomatoes, apples, pumpkins, etc.
- Burning barrel waste
- Garbage or litter of any kind
Hours of operation:
- Monday through Saturday – 7:30 a.m. to Sunset
- Sunday – 12:00 Noon to Sunset
- Sunday – December thru March – Closed
- Brighton Township reserves the right to close access to the compost site at any time for the purpose of operating the equipment upon the site, as well as for the inspection and maintenance of the equipment and the site.
4.Use of the site shall be by permit only, which permit shall be displayed in the motor vehicle conveying yard waste to the compost site.
- The following circumstances shall constitute a violation of these Rules & Regulations:
- The deposit of any material, other than acceptable yard waste, at the compost site.
- The deposit of any material at the compost site by any person not holding a valid permit, or in violation of the provisions of the permit issued to such person.
- The deposit of any material at the compost site at any time other than the designated hours of operation.
- Violation of any of these rules and regulations, upon conviction thereof in a summary proceeding, is subject to a fine of not less than $100.00 and not more than $1,000.00 and costs and, in default of the payment of such fine and costs, to undergo imprisonment for not more than 30 days.